birding-aus

Number of birdwatchers in Australia

To: <>
Subject: Number of birdwatchers in Australia
From: "Carl Corden" <>
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 11:00:00 +1100
Being roughly the same age as Sean Dooley I can relate to the comments about
having birding mentors etc during your teen years.  I started birding at around
10 years old, and continued into my high school years.  I even shared my
interest with one or two mates at school.

Unfortunately I didn't meet any other birders during this time and, sure
enough, birding was all but forgotten from my late teens through to my early
30's.  It wasn't that I lost interest in birds, it was just the combination of
the stigma of being a birdwatcher combined with developing interest in other
non-bird related pass-times that led me in other directions.  Obviously though
the birding-bug was always present, albeit dormant, until my 30's.

I suppose one advantage of this now is that my life list is somewhat smaller
than most "serious" birders, leaving me with plenty of opportunities to see new
birds!

Carl Corden
Sydney