birding-aus

Swarovski scopes, Leica bins, Pocket PCs

Subject: Swarovski scopes, Leica bins, Pocket PCs
From: "Frank O'Connor" <>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 22:11:53 +0900

In the not too distant past, I asked for information about these and where to get the best price in Australia. I could post the results, but this could be construed as advertising, so contact me if you want to know the details. The best price for the Swarovski scope is in Perth, the best for Leica (by a long way) is in Adelaide.

I bought a HP iPAQ pocket PC. I looked at digital voice recorders (Olympus), iPods, etc but went for this as it also allows me to keep my contact list, keep track of my appointments (I previously kept these in my head and pinned to the wall, so a big improvement, especially since my memory isn't always as good as it was), and it has cut down versions of Word and Excel. I can use a 2GB SD card, and a 2GB Compact Flash for memory. It can connect to the web, but I probably won't use this feature. I can preview photos from my SD card, but it is very slow for this. The speaker output is far too low, but a speaker can easily be attached. The battery life is OK for a couple of days. You can buy a second battery, or else keep the docking station with you (not much good camping, although I can get a 12V charger adaptor). It connects to my laptop with USB or wireless. It can record sounds, but only if they are close. No way to connect an external microphone.

So thanks again to all the people who responded to my earlier queries.