birding-aus

Bird things at Qld Modern Art Gallery

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: Bird things at Qld Modern Art Gallery
From: Paul Jacobson <>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:12:48 +1100
There is also exchange of ideas between indigenous cultures, which shouldn't be too surprising in this "connected" world.

At the 2006 Commonwealth Games for example, there was a gathering of indigenous carvers from around the commonwealth. A friend who was involved in organising the event told me at the time that the carvers were extremely enthusiastic about sharing techniques and ideas with each other. I believe there were a number works produced as collaborations between artists from different indigenous groups.

So perhaps the incorporation of Nth. American imagery is a reflection of the artists engagement with other indigenous people's, rather than lack of knowledge.

Paul