birding-aus

Melbourne quail

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Melbourne quail
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 11:42:11 +1100
HI Bill et al,
Quail, including Stubble Quail are found in the various grasslands along
Merri Creek, a Yarra R tributary. Maybe they, like many other natives are
spreading their wings and trying new horizons. Or being forced to by
circumstance.
I know they (quail - not certain which type) regularly occur at Jukes Rd
Grassland (Fawkner) and environs. I've even seen them there. Likewise I see,
usually a pair, most visits to Cooper St grassland, where they seem to
live/hang out in the edge of the grounds of a Social Club adjacent to the
Grassland.
There are Stubble and Brown Quail records on Birdline 11/2006 from
Craigieburn Grassland. I was also told recently of flocks/groups of 20 Brown
(I think) Quail  south of Cooper St (Lalor).

Wendy
Coburg