birding-aus

SE Melbourne - holiday surprises - whiskered terns

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: SE Melbourne - holiday surprises - whiskered terns
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 12:57:10 +1100
Hi all

In a New Year's Day message I said I had seen Whiskered Terns feeding from the
sea at Brighton, Port Phillip Bay, adding "most of my books say they are not
coastal ...!??  Comments welcome".

Thanks to those who replied.

WTs were reported feeding over the sea at Werribee (Western) Treatment Plant by
several, at two other northern Port Phillip locations, and at Roebuck Bay,
Broome. Several people mentioned them feeding close to the sea at wetlands and
one to feeding over dunes (for insects?).

It seems likely that the phenomenon applies to "drought years" whereas, I
guess, most of my books are based on data from the 1950-1990 era of high
rainfall.

Michael Norris