birding-aus

access to Alice Springs sewerage ponds

Subject: access to Alice Springs sewerage ponds
From: Jill Molan <>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 13:27:38 +1100
Dear birding-aussers
Information that may be useful to some of you.

I was unable to access the Alice Springs sewerage ponds last Friday afternoon because there is now a policy of a locked gate (clearly I should have checked but last time I was there it was never locked). Very disappointing of course (since I was back in NSW on Saturday) but below are the details if you are going there and want to arrange access.

There is a sign at the gate saying that birdwatchers are welcome and can access a key by ringing 1800 245 092. I have rung that number today (from NSW) and been told that there is a $30 CASH deposit on the key, and the birdwatcher must pay this IN PERSON and sign the indemnity form in the Power&Water office, witnessed by the staff there, in the Greatorix Building, Opposite the Police Station, Cnr Bath & Parsons Sts, Alice Springs.

The money cannot be sent as a cheque etc (I was told) because they hold it in cash and refund it in cash on return of the key. There is no time limit on holding the key. So it seems it is impossible to organise in advance or if you arrive and leave on a weekend :-( But once you have a key no problem.

Opening hours are 8 - 4.30, Mon to Fri.

Hope this is of use to someone else and that you see many good things! Even the tip next door was closing as we got there so no chance to walk along the side fence, just the short fence leading to the gate which has pretty limited vision.

regards
Jill