birding-aus

Attracting seabirds with chum etc

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Attracting seabirds with chum etc
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 10:41:17 +1100
Hi All,
I have been reading with interest this, and the related threads on
attracting birds with calls, whistles, and recordings.
When I first joined this chatgroup I was always astonished by the Pelagic
reports wondering what amazing natural feature occurred on these routes that
caused such large accumulations of birds to be observed.
Then, during a discussion on whether, food should be offered to attract wild
birds for viewing the cat was let out of the bag, or is that dog food out of
the can .......berley was used to attract these birds. That made the huge
numbers more understandable.

Now this latest discussion has me further confused. My understanding of
'berleying' involved cut/mashed up fresh fish tossed over board to attract
game fish - so I assumed sort of the same thing for Pelagics.
NOW there is talk about Chumming - is this using canned dog food? and the
use of shark liver.
COULD one of the Pelagic people please explain, for me and other non-
(never - unless your birds also like vomit! and I can't take pills due to
other medication I am on!) pelagic people what and how bait is used to lure
these sea birds for observation.

AND a comment. Much in the way nature photographers will include details of
the film, lens , hide etc they used to get a shot, should not these Pelagic
reports include the type and volume of bait  used to obtain the
observations, for accurate and full reporting?

With thanks in anticipation,
Wendy

PS Do any land-lubber birders turn up to dry areas with a water tanker and
create an enticing wetland or a load of seed, fruit, meat whatever in a
similar way?