birding-aus

Attracting seabirds with chum etc

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Attracting seabirds with chum etc
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 12:56:22 +1100
OK,
I've been doing some research and partially answered my question.
I WOULD STILL be interested in others thoughts on the other points I raised.

For others who are ignorant, like me, of the fine points of Pelagicing.....
My dictionary tells me
Ground Bait (not heard that one before! - I'm ignorant about angling too!)
"Angling bait such as scraps of bread, maggots etc. thrown into an area of
water to attract fish"
= Berley (Australian)
= Chum (Cheifly U.S.)
Sad to see yet another Americanism invading our language.

Some quick googling sort of answered indirectly too.
I was interested in one document talking about capture, tag and release
shark (game) fishing from NSW which said
"Usually this involves burleying (also called chumming) with minced fish
together with fish oil (mammal products have been banned for many years) and
setting baits in the burley trail."

'Though the nature of the contents of canned dog food is rather
questionable, and highly vegetable (and mineral), I guess this possibly
rules out my earlier mis-understanding of Chumming. I do reckon, if it
(Chum) floats, it would stink badly enough to attract anything though!!
Wendy