birding-aus

Powerful Owls

To: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Subject: Powerful Owls
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:00:45 +1100
Hi Stephen,

Fair questions but I would suggest that the first part of Q2 "were they
immature birds" would have been better answered by you looking at the deceased,
rather than asking the question of us who were not there. As for the other
questions, it is hard to know how to answer them after the event. I wonder why
it matters as to how these collisions occurred. I'd offer a general comment
that nocturnal animals are more often road victims than diurnal animals.

I'd also raise the question as to whether if there is such mortality, if the
urban area is a population sink (that is birds dispersing from bushland areas
into the suburbs and dying on the roads there - thereby being a source of
reduction of population, rather than increase). In which case this suggested
increase may be illusory of an increase in abundance and is not a great trend.
I point out, I am asking. I don't have any answers or information so don't
quote me as if I do.

Philip