birding-aus

Poison trials D1339

To: Sandra Henderson <>
Subject: Poison trials D1339
From: "James O'Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:56:17 +1100
Hi all,

A response to request for info on the D1339 trials from Steven Lapidge, chief scientific officer at Pestat, who are running the trials.

cheers,
James

Dear James and Chris,

I am unsure where Warren Thompson got his facts from, but it was obviously not the attached Queensland Country Life article he mentioned. Please allow me to clarify:

1. Live (we have just completed near 2 years of non-toxic safety trials) field trials of DRC-1339 (3-Chloro-4-methylbenzenamine hydrochloride) are being planned for 2007. They will be undertaken by Pestat Ltd (<http://www.pestat.com.au/>www.pestat.com.au) under the direction of Dr David Dall and myself, with on ground work to be carried out by acknowledged European starling experts Tina Bentz and Ron Sinclair. The research will be financially supported by the Natural Heritage Trust and the Invasive Animals CRC. Further support is being sought from Australian Pork Limited.

2. Each field trial will involve an extensive non-toxic pre-feeding period to ensure target-specificity prior to incorporation of DRC-1339 onto bait material. Although the bait material may be feedlot rations, it will be presented in separate decoy feeders. Furthermore, feeders can be covered with wire mesh to prevent cockatoos and other parrots from accessing grain (based on beak morphology).

3. Where starlings occur around feedlots and piggeries they are generally the dominant bird, excluding most others. As such, target-specificity is often near absolute. However, in the event of a cockatoo entering the baiting area during the live trials, and they happen to consume laced grain before the bait stations are withdrawn, they are unlikely to be effected by the DRC-1339 as parrots tested so far have been shown to not be susceptible to the active in the low dose rates used for starlings.

4. The precise nature and location of the field trials need to remain commercial-in-confidence, as such the details can not be reported here.

5. A wealth of knowledge is available on DRC-1339 on the internet should any Birds Australia members be interested.

Kind regards,

Steve.
Dr Steven Lapidge
Pestat Ltd
- Chief Scientific Officer
A- 48 Oxford Terrace, Unley, South Australia 5061

At 12:14 PM 9/01/2007,  wrote:
On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:14:15AM +1100, Sandra Henderson wrote:
> DRC-1339 (3-chloro-4-methylbenzenamine, hydrochloride)has been
> widely used, esp. in the US, to control starlings, ravens and
> pigeons (marketed there as Starlicide).

It's also known as 3-chloro-p-toluidine hydrochloride.

This website is a good starting point for information:
   http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Chemical.jsp?Rec_Id=PC35140

--

James O'Connor
Research and Conservation Officer

email:
ph (03) 9882 2622 (ext.248)
fax (03) 9882 2677

FROM FEBRUARY 2007
Birds Australia
60 Leicester St
Carlton 3053

Website address: http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au
Atlas website: http://www.birdata.com.au
ABN: 87 004 076 475
Australian Partner of BirdLife International. Are you a member of Birds
Australia? If not, why not join us?
Privileged/confidential information or data may be contained in this
message. If you are not the intended addressee indicated in this message,
you may not copy or deliver this message or take an action in reliance on
it. In such case, you should destroy this message and kindly notify the
sender by return email. Opinions, conclusions and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of Birds Australia
shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by it. Birds Australia
accepts no liability for any damage caused in the transmission, receipt or
opening of this message and any files transmitted with it.