birding-aus

Poison trials D1339

To: "michael norris" <>
Subject: Poison trials D1339
From: "Sandra Henderson" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 11:14:15 +1100
DRC-1339 (3-chloro-4-methylbenzenamine, hydrochloride)has been widely
used, esp. in the US, to control starlings, ravens and pigeons (marketed
there as Starlicide).  Couldn't see any studies (in my quick search) re
effects on parrots in general or cockatoos specifically - there are many
birds for which it has little effect (and its noted also that it seems
to have little effect on scavengers (mammals or other birds) which eat
the poisoned birds).  I did see reference in a 2005 conference paper to
Dr Steve Lapidge doing a review of possible non-target-bird-species
effects here in Australia - same paper also said "A multi-state and
-industry feasibility study of the likely safety for use and market
potential of DRC-1339 as an avicide in Australia is currently
occurring."
(if you want to see that conf paper see p235 of
http://www.landcareresearch.co.nz/information_services/mwpress/news/conf
erences/vertebratepest/VPC_FULLPROGRAMME2.pdf)

Sandra Henderson
Manager, Research, Coordination Support Branch
National Library of Australia
CANBERRA  ACT 2600
Phone: +61 2 6262 1481
Fax: +61 2 6273 2545