birding-aus

Atherton Tablelands Birds

To: <>
Subject: Atherton Tablelands Birds
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:03:41 +1000
Greetings and all the best for the new year.

There  are still at least 8 Sarus Cranes on the Atherton Tablelands. They all
seem to be unpaired birds. Heard one call from over head last night as we began
our most successful mammal nocturnal.

At Hasties Swamp there are still a pair of Painted Snipe, three Wood Sandpipers
and a female White-winged Triller feeding a fledgling.

The Blue-faced Parrot-Finches are showing well along much of Gourka Rd but not
in the National Park this morning.

There have been a number of Cassowary sightings in unusual places. While there
is a fair crop of figs on at the moment, many other fruit are missing because
they were lost in the cyclone. Perhaps this is the cause of these birds'
wanderings.

Barking Owls have woken me in the early morning for three days in a row now but
are not roosting in my yard as far as I can tell.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road