birding-aus

GPS for birders

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: GPS for birders
From: "Colin Driscoll" <>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 16:12:33 +1100
Chris, this is not my experience. I do a lot of work with my Garmin 60CS
attached to my laptop feeding live position to a GIS program that has a high
resolution aerial image under the GPS tracks as they happen. If I am driving
down a narrow bush trail say 5m wide the GPS track is being plotted onto
that track that I can see on the image. Errors of position that you describe
do happen at times but only very briefly.

I rely on my GPS to find my way around in some pretty isolated country and
it is always reliable- just make sure that you don't run out of batteries! I
have wandered around alone in mulga country for many kilometres and I'm
still here to tell the story! I can put a point, say representing a property
corner peg, into the GPS and find the peg relatively quickly. There is a
sport called geocaching- have a look at http://geocaching.com.au/, where the
aim is to find 'cached' objects by using a hand held GPS.

Maybe satellite availabilty is different in Tassie.

Colin Driscoll