birding-aus

GPS for birders

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: GPS for birders
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2006 20:24:29 +1100
G'day to those with interests in GPS units.

We replaced our old Magellan bought from Birds Australia with the latest XL - which is the largest handheld they make - but which also comes with an attachment to the car windscreen. It can also be connected to a Windows computer to obtain 3D pictures of the lay of the land. On the units screen it can show the topo map contours. It can store on board, on card and on computer many way-points and routes. I have been testing it out. and find it is very fast at locating your position, changing direction in car or on foot as soon as I do. It even works inside out house!

It reports its own accuracy and I am regularly getting 2-4m.

We bought it at the 4WD & Fishing Expo in Melbourne for $300 off the normal price. There is a desert program that is almost ready for the Aussie outback - which can be bought as an extra.

Definitely worth a look at.

happy navigating

Mike Tarburton