birding-aus

Proposed new Hunter Valley Dam

To: <>, <>
Subject: Proposed new Hunter Valley Dam
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 13:46:27 +1100
Hi Andrew,

Nice to hear the voice of reason on here once in a while.

Further to your comment that '....this dam will be bad for birds...' - This
is not necessarily so, check out Edwin Vella's frequent postings here on his
trips to Prospect Reservoir which is one of the best birding spots in
Western Sydney. The Warragamba catchment area is also full of wildlife (and
closed off to the general public). This area is bigger than Belgium and
contains a lot of wildlife, both birds and mammals.

Although I love birds and nature in general, I feel that some of the 'green'
statements on here do tend to be a bit over the top. I am all for
sustainable energy etc, but none of the solutions so far offered will ever
be cost effective and things like wind farms and solar grids take up more
space than people seem to realise, thus further depleting room for the
birds, and wind farms in particular can be quite ugly, spoil the landscape
just as much as power stations and unless they are right on the coast are
unlikely to get enough wind here in Australia to give a reasonable return on
their cost.

As a bit of interesting reading, try Michael Crichton's 'State of Fear' -
although a novel on Global warming, it does include a 20 page bibliography,
some of which I found very enlightening.

Regards, Mike Simpson
Penrith, NSW, Australia