birding-aus

Scary stuff!!

To: <>
Subject: Scary stuff!!
From: "michael norris" <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 14:33:41 +1100
To all the birders who have responded (or not!) to postings about the WWF's statements about climate change (I prefer to call it climate damage) and its effects on birds.

I've just sent this to the PM.

Michael Norris
Melbourne

Dear Mr Howard

"Birding-Aus" is a mailing list which connects many of the leaders of bird conservation in Australia. We recently received a posting summarising the World Wildlife Foundation's findings on the current and predicted effects of climate change.

I've just sent this to the list.

Being a humble politician - a local Councillor for the City of Bayside in Melbourne - myself, I beg you all to find the positive things going on in relation to climate damage and environmental degredation and back them using every means you have.

We pollies are subject to all sorts of pressures (most of all from our friends)

OK John Howard has recently publicly discovered carbon trading, 3 years after David Kemp, the then Environment Minister, encouraged him to say publicly that humanity needs to reduce its greenhouse gas emissions (don't forget the methane!) by 60%.

OK it is taking time for people to realise that the weed threat to our environment is still growing (literally) and that climate change will increase threats of invasions by exotic weeds (and insects like the Denge fever mosquito).

OK some species will DIE if their habitat disappears. Alpine and other isolated creatures will have (along with the ski industry) have nowhere to go.

OK the leading companies, the ACF and others have told us that mitigation efforts will cost us around 1% p.a. of growth.

OK Australia could have profited from solar energy devices.

BUT we have firms on the Stock Exchange and States who have prepared for carbon trading (don't know about the methane!)

BUT the Federal Government has recognised the weed threat and AQIS is doing more than it did.

BUT corridors to enable a greater migration of species in response to climate change are being planned and implemented.

BUT companies and others, including my Council, are spending money on reducing emissions with that great movement ICLEI showing us the way.

BUT CSIRO has invented new products for photo-voltaic solar collection and major projects to use that sort of technology are now funded.

What people like me want the Government to do is to build on its iititiatives but most of all STOP INTERPRETING AUSTRALIA'S INTERESTS IN NARROW TERMS.

Australia, above almost all nations, has benefited from global efforts to prevent ozone depletion.

WE SHOULD DO OUR SHARE IN RELATION TO CLIMATE DAMAGE.