birding-aus

Scary stuff!!

To: Carl Clifford <>, "Peter Shute (NUW)" <>
Subject: Scary stuff!!
From: Denise Goodfellow <>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 12:00:12 +0930
Talking of governments, I'm told that our Chief Minister aims to
"Singaporise" or "green" Darwin.  There are already some wonderful examples
of this type of thinking, for instance outside Bagot, the Aboriginal
reserve, and in the roadscaping at the Nightcliff Road turnoff. There the
colour-coordinated plantings give a lovely eye-catching display.

Indigenous people realising that a) these plants are so much more acceptable
than our local native flora, and b) that the "Golden Impomoea" so planted is
edible, are taking such plants into Arnhem Land.

Mind you, one can't just blame the present NT Government.  Virtually every
tourist accommodation in the Top End, including those in Kakadu, is
surrounded by such plants (although I haven't spotted "Ipomoea batatas" in
Kakadu yet!).

And of course our native fauna just love such plants!   I can envisage the
"Singaporisation" of Arnhem Land and Kakad, with White-lined Honeyeater and
Sandstone Shrike-thrush singing their little hearts out among the Golden
Cane and Allamanda at Anbangbang/Nourlangie Rock!

Denise Lawungkurr Goodfellow
Songlark Street
BAKEWELL NT 0832
Ph. 61 8 89 328306

 http://www.denisegoodfellow.com
> http://www.earthfoot.org
> http://www.mcguire-spickard.com/baby_dreaming/
> http://www.ausbird.com

Now, given the disparity between our climates and our eight months of
drought, this means irrigating the introduced plants.