birding-aus

NZ field guides

Subject: NZ field guides
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:15:32 +1000

I understand that the new revised edition of Stuart Chambers' NZ Locality
Guide is about 15 months away.

The Heather and Robertson field guide, published by Viking (Penguin) comes
in two versions, (a) an identification guide, or (b) the identification
guide plus a substantial and informative handbook section.

The latter contains a small introduction to major sites, which was
up-to-date as at 2005. I'm not sure if the smaller field-guide version has
that.

Bill Jolly
"Abberton",
Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

(27: 34' 21" S; 152: 08' 21" E)

Visit our website at www.abberton.org

I'd like to offer a supplemental suggestion, Stuart Chambers "Birds of
New Zealand Locality Guide" (2000). It's a very helpful bird finding
guide and well worth using. A couple of notes about the book:
* It gets savaged on the NZ birding list from time to time. If you
encounter those opinions on-line, take them as a vocal minority. We've used
the book three times and always found it lead us to beautiful
spots with great birds. Did we see all of the birds listed in the book for
those spots? No, nor would I expect to.

* There's a new edition in the works but it doesn't seem to be out
yet. Still, the major sites haven't changed a great deal.

* Andrew Isles stocks the current edition.

Advertisement: Looking for a car that won't break the budget?  Go to
www.tradingpost.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eautotrader%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fbrowse%2Dauto%2FAutomotive%2F%3Freferrer%3Dplace1&_t=758874129&_r=emailtagline_nov&_m=EXT