birding-aus

NZ field guides

Subject: NZ field guides
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:39:52 +1100
I recently used this book in NZ in Januray and my recommendations wouldn't be so slowing. I had used the previous edition (borrowed from a library as it was out of print and hard to find) in 1996 and found it pretty useful, particularly for endemics. However, this trip is was particularly interested in a few species I had missed and found the book a bit frustrating. My comparison is with Thomas and Thomas which I have used a bit in Australia and have found to be pretty well on the mark (both in having directions/descriptions of the sites and what you would be likely to find). I went to a few wader sites on the South Island and found them less than inspiring (no indication of how big the site was and when I went there, there wer no birds at all). Some of the data hasn't been updated since the 1st edition, so many things are no longer found where they say they are. I would be incredibly surprised if Great Spotted Kiwis are still at Lake Brunner and the info on Yellowheads at Arthurs Pass was out of date in 1996 (this population has just about disappeared, as has the Cascade Creek population). Overall, it is a useful book to plan a trip (and the new addition does have some nice photos), and certainly helps when finding a few of the endemics, but if you are expecting a book like Thomas and Thomas don't (maybe I was being too optimistic). Anyway have a great trip. Tiritiri is excellent as is Stewart Island (particularly Ulva Island) if you get the time.
Cheers,
Peter

I'd like to offer a supplemental suggestion, Stuart Chambers "Birds of
New Zealand Locality Guide" (2000). It's a very helpful bird finding
guide and well worth using. A couple of notes about the book:

* It gets savaged on the NZ birding list from time to time. If you
encounter those opinions on-line, take them as a vocal minority. We've
used the book three times and always found it lead us to beautiful
spots with great birds. Did we see all of the birds listed in the book
for those spots? No, nor would I expect to.

* There's a new edition in the works but it doesn't seem to be out
yet. Still, the major sites haven't changed a great deal.

* Andrew Isles stocks the current edition.

P.S. If you've never been to Tiritiri Matangi out of Auckland, try to
go. It's quite fantastic.

http://www.tiritirimatangi.org.nz/

Feel free to write off-line if you want more site suggestions.

David Adams

 Wallaga Lake 2546 NSW