birding-aus

Ballarat, Victoria: Gold

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Ballarat, Victoria: Gold
From: Charles Hunter <>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2006 16:46:29 +1100 (EST)
Hi all,

  A quick report from Ballarat on a very successful few hours birding between
work meetings this week (1st and 2nd November).

  Many thanks to Russell Woodford and Helen O'Donnell and the two birders on
Lake Wendouree for the expert local tips.

  Time was spent at forrest near Clunes (30-40kms north of Ballarat) and Lake
Wendouree.

  Lake Wendouree is full of birds and only puddles of water (Ballarat is on
level 4 water restrictions). The Wetlands close by (that I believe are man
made) also produced some excellent sightings, many common (however new
sightings for me). Here are some of them:

  Birds seen at the Wetlands (close to the Botanical Gardens):
  Black-tailed Native-hen (new sighting)
  Australian Spotted Crake (new sighting)
  Baillon's Crake
  Buff-banded Rail
  Australasian Grebe
  Latham's Snipe (new sighting, two seen feeding)

  Seen on Lake Wendouree:
  Hardheads
  Black-winged Stilt
  Red-Kneed Dotterel (new sighting)
  Whiskered Tern (new sighting)
  Great Egret

  As well as ususal suspects such as Purple Swamp Hen's, Pacific Black ducks,
Cormorants, etc.

  Russell Woodford gave me some great direections for some dry forest near
Clunes. I arrived at 5.40am on Thursday 2nd, it was dark, overcast and rainy.
Light improved after 6.15am.

  Black-chinned Honeyeater
  White-browed Woodswallow (new sighting)
  Common Bronzewing (new sighting, several also heard calling)
  Musk Lorikeet (new sighting)
  Little Lorikeet

  2 full days of work, 4 hours of birding, 8 new sightings . It doesn't get
much better really.

  Regards,

  Charles Hunter
  Paddington, Sydney