birding-aus

ID Help With Wader, Please

Subject: ID Help With Wader, Please
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 23:22:29 EST
I'm an American birder who isn't very familiar with Aussie waders, and I  saw
a bird in Augusta, WA, on October 31 that I can't identify.  I thought  at
first it was a Common Greenshank, but the legs seem too short, and the  bill
doesn't seem to be curved upward.  When first observed, the bird  was feeding
at
the edge of the water, probing in the wet sand.  As I  approached, it went up
onto the dry sand, where it joined the other birds  shown.  After a while, it
went back down to the water's edge and resumed  feeding.  Unfortunately, I
didn't see it fly.

I took some pictures of the bird, including some with other shorebirds for
size comparison, and have put them in a folder on my website.
_http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip/unknown_wader_
(http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip/unknown_wader)

Any help would be appreciated.

You can also look at other pictures from my trip so far -
_http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip_
(http://barry15.com/2006_Australia_Trip)  ,  and click
on any of the Photos links (Photos01, Photos02, etc.)  They are a  mixture of
bird pictures and sightseeing pictures, but you can look at the  thumbnails and
decide what you want to see.  I'll be continuing to add  pages of photos as
the trip continues.  I'd appreciate any corrections or  comments regarding the
pictures.

Thanks in advance for any help in identification and education for  me.

Barry Brugman