birding-aus

Quick trips to Hattah-Kulkyne and Griffith

Subject: Quick trips to Hattah-Kulkyne and Griffith
From: "Peter Ewin" <>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:50:53 +1100
On Sunday had a quick trip to Hattah-Kulkyne NP in NW Victoria for a bit of a look around while the lakes have water. Nothing spectacular but sussed out some good spots to visit on a longer camping trip. Regent Parrots at three spots, including about 8 directly above the picnic shelet at Lake Hattah. Stopped briefly at Nowingi Track - no Grass or Emu Wrens, but was surprised that Masked Woodswallows outnumbered White-browed - not the usual ratio in the eastern states.

Had to visit Griffith (SW NSW) for work so took advantage of daylight savings and spent about an hour at Campbells Swamp. There are at least 80 Spotted and 50 Baillon's Crakes there at the moment (easy to get great views with binoculars). Also saw at least one Spotless Crake, about 600 Glossy Ibis (apparently they are roosting in there thousands), 2 Magpie Geese, Black-tailed Native-Hens and both Little and Intermediate Egrets in breeding plumage. Duck diversity was low (Grey Teal and Black Duck mainly, with a few Chestnut Teal and 1 or 2 Shoveler). I am really wondering where the Pink-ears and Freckleds are at the moment (I think there are quite a few of the latter on Kangaroo Island). Also flushed another Brown Quail from virtually the identical patch of grass they were in last year.

On the way over yesterday saw a large (100+) flock of Australian Pratincole at "Ravensworth" on the Hay Plain, feeding with Whiskered Terns (probably on Locusts). I was pretty certain I had seen one in a similar spot earlier in the month, but was late so I didn't get a chance to turn around. Had a lookout today on the way back to Mildura, but no luck when I had a chance to have a good look.

Also saw lots of Glossy Ibis feeding in rice bays between Griffith and Hay on the "back" road - Benerembah-Wyvern.

Cheers,
Peter