birding-aus

RFI - Mimicry by Eastern Whipbirds

To: bird <>
Subject: RFI - Mimicry by Eastern Whipbirds
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 22:26:42 +1000
Greetings Aus-birders,

I'd be most grateful for any comments on whether Eastern Whipbirds are
mimics, and if so, what species have they been heard to mimic.

"A Guide to Lamington National Park" has just been published by the
Lamington Natural History Association. (**)

On page 183 is written :

    "The major mimics of the rainforest are: Whipbirds, Yellow-throated
Scrub-wrens, Albert's Lyrebirds and Satin Bowerbirds."

I was about to query the book's editor on the inclusion of whipbirds, when I
thought to check in Chisholm's "Bird Wonders of Australia" (Angus &
Robertson, 1948).  He says in his chapter "Stealers of Sound" (at p 211) -

    "Even the clamant Whipbird, in his softer moments, permits himself to
play with the voices of neighbours."

Still doubtful, I emailed Peter Ogilvie, zoologist by training and former
career, and presently Manager, World Heritage Unit, in the Queensland
Environmental Protection Agency, who has a particular personal interest in
Whipbirds and for many years has lived on a property with resident
whipbirds.  Peter replied:

    "I have never considered whipbirds to be mimics.  I¹d be interested to
know what birds people considered they were mimicking."

So comments anyone, please.

TIA

Syd Curtis in Brisbane

(**)
For the record:  Edited by Lesley Hutley.  Published by ENVIROBOOK, a
division of Trekaway Pty ltd, 7 Close Street, Canterbury, NSW 2181.
www.envirobook.com.au       ISBN 0 85881 208 8.