birding-aus

NSW Nature Reserves and Birdwatching

Subject: NSW Nature Reserves and Birdwatching
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 20:27:52 +1000
>    Incidentally on our last trip we had been approached by a ranger from
>    NPWS who asked us to advise the Cobar office each time we visited the
>    nature reserves.  Accordingly we phoned Cobar Office prior to this
>    trip and received something of a grilling about why we wished to go
>    there before the visit was sanctioned by the Regional Manager.  It was
>    pointed out to us that nature reserves (as opposed to national parks)
>    are not open to the public but rather are areas set aside for
>    scientific research and conservation of flora and fauna.  The Regional
>    Manager, in sanctioning our visit, asked for some photographs of the
>    birds in the park, which we will provide.

I noticed this on the canberrabirds list from Lindsay Hansch - who I
don't know, and hope doesn't mind being quoted.

I've heard this said said  before about nature reserves, but I things its
incorrect.  Birdwatching falls  squarely inside one of legislated purposes
for NSW nature reserves: "the promotion of public appreciation, enjoyment
and understanding of the nature reserve's natural and cultural values".

The first words of Round Hill Nature Reserve's Management Plan are:

"Nature reserves are dedicated and managed to protect natural environments
 and wildlife and to provide for scientific study and public enjoyment
 of their features."

Pam Allan, then Minister for the Environment, goes on to mention birding
in the foreword.  The body of the plan also mentions birding and says
use of Round Hill for "nature observation" will be encouraged.

Definitely cooperate with DEC - like contacting them prior to visiting -
but don't let DEC staff tell you they are doing you a special favour by
letting you bird at Round Hill.

Incidentally it is reasonable if DEC provide no facilities or support for
visitation at Round Hill or other nature reserves.  There is an extra
clause in the legislation for national parks that says: "provision for
sustainable visitor use and enjoyment ...".

I've appended links to legislation and plan.
Andrew Taylor

http://austlii.law.uts.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_act/npawaa2001327/
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/PDFs/pom_final_yathong_nombinnie_roundhill.pdf