birding-aus

Sparrowhawk Table Manners

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Sparrowhawk Table Manners
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 21:26:45 +1000
I have seen them feeding on the ground or on tree perches. Or starting on the
ground, then being flushed and continuing on tree perches. Generally though you
don't see it that often. Actually I don't know how good a generalisation it is,
but when I have seen them (Collared Sparrowhawk) feeding, it has been on the
ground under bushes or within dense shrubbery. I suspect this is a defensive
thing against robbers like the Pied Currawong. Rather different from say
Peregrine Falcons who will often feed out in the open on bare ground and
Hobbies and Kestrels & Black-shouldered Kites that will feed on conspicuous
open tree or pole perches (maybe because that is all there is). Large raptors
may be even less fussy (or the prey is too big to carry) or there is little
point carrying it, if it is not to go to a nest.

Philip