birding-aus

odd plumages -

To: "" <>
Subject: odd plumages -
From: "Penny Brockman" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 12:34:41 +1000
Dear all

From my back deck I've been watching  pair of Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes
building a nest in one of my neighbour's gum trees, at least 20m high.  One
of the birds has a distinct white chin, the white starting at each bill gape
and sharply meeting to a point on the throat - a diamond shape. This is very
useful to confirm that both birds are building the nest, using spider web
which they wipe around the upright branch and horizontal branch on which the
nest is sited - the nest being close to the upright.

I've also got up to 11 King Parrots paying frequent visits, all immatures
and females.  One immature has yellow spots on its scapulars - one large and
one small on the right, and 3 small on the left.

This is on the north side of Gloucester, NSW.