birding-aus

Australia (SW) part I

Subject: Australia (SW) part I
Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 02:17:13 -0400
Dear all,

I did some birding around some spots in SW Australia and that is part of a 3
month round-trip through Australia. This is my first part of the trip and maybe
some usefull notes for other birdwatchers.

9 September

Just south of Busselton along the Highway we found a group of about 15
Long-billed Black Cockatoos.
At Cape Naturaliste, some distant Albatrosses and Shearwaters, only a few
possitive Hutton's Shearwaters passing by. Both Humpback as Right Wales here.
Best of all at the whale vieuwing point a Red-eared Firetail.
At Sugurleaf Rock 2 Red-tailed Tropicbirds.
When returning from Cape Naturaliste we had on the north side of the road about
5 kms from the point a large mixed group of both short-billed and Long-billed
Black Cockatoos that came in for a drink at a recent constructed dam.

10 september

A seawatch in the early morning produced a nice Grey-headed Albatros, 10-s of
Yellow-nosed Albatrosses and few Black-browed Albatros at Cape Leeuwin
(Augusta). Also few Little Shearwaters as many Flesh-footed Shearwaters passing
by. A group of 20+ Rock Parrots was feeding on the grassy patches around the
gate to the lighthouse.

11 september

At Little Beach at Two Peoples Bay we recorded while walking around in
excellent wheater no less then 10 calling Noisy Scrub-birds, 20 Western
Brislebirds and 5 Western Whipbirds (from the parking to the information
centyre and back again). Also here Western Spinebill, Western Thornbill,
Western Fieldwren and Red-winged Fairy-wren.
At Lake Seppings we found Western Yellow Robin, Red-eared Firetail and many
Musk Ducks.
A seawach of the Gap (Albany) produced large numbers of Yellow-nosed
Albatrosses, and two South Polar Skuas.

12 September

At Stirling Ranges we found at the camping spot just opposite the Bluffs Knoll
cafe (retreat) a nice male Western Crested Shrike Tit (in the little bush
before the reception), an Australian Owlet-nightjar behind the cooking facility
in a half cut down tree. To our surprise we found both long billed and
short-billed Black Cockatoos here (long bills where a little down the road to
Porongurup at a camping places just after the road to Mt Trio). At Porongupup
Rufous Treecreeper almost hopped on my foots at the Tree in the rock parking
spot.
In the centre of Albany opposite a backpackers hotel we found a Southern
Boobook.

12 september

At Rocky Gully just before Lake Muir I found good numbers 100+ of Western
Corella's feeding in the paddocks here.
A seawatch of the Gap (Albany) produced 100-s of Yellow-nosed Albatrosses, 5+
Shy Albatros (cauta), 1 Wandering Albatross, 2 Black-browed Albatros, 2
Grey-headed Albatros and 100-s of Flesh-footed Shearwaters.
A Fitzgerald River (35 km east of Jerramungup), 10 Blue-breasted Fairy-wrens,
Purple Gaped Honeyeater and 10 Varied sitellas. A bit east of Esperance a
Australian Bittern flying over the road.

14 september

A short sea-watch off Esperance produced except for Gannets a group of 4
Cape-barren Goose and many Little Wattlebirds at the Rotary Look-out.
Just past Norseman on the Eyre highway a Rufous Treecreeper, and past
Cocklebiddy Hotel 5 Bluebonnets. Funny was a Whiskered Tern feeding above the
Eyre Highway.

15 september

A Nullarbor Road House the Nullarbor Quail-thrush was easily found, at the
turn-off mentioned in Thomas & Thomas they where feeding on the road, just at
the sign Nullarbor National Park (1.3 km east of the roadhouse)(excellent
location and ask Paul of the staff where the Quail-thrushes are, they are also
around the motel and feeding here). Also here Rufous Heathwren, Southern
Whire-face, Slender-billed Thornbill, White-winged Fairy-wren and Spotted
Harrier.
Just before Iron Knob few Chestnut-quail Thrush along the road.
A the bight (12 kms from Nullarbor RH) about 30 Right Wales.

16 september

A the parking spot at the Arid Botanical Gardens in Port Augusta easily
Chimming Wedgebill.

Best whishes and thanks everyone that helped me and Frank O' Connor for his
more then excellent website,

Justin Jansen