birding-aus

Torres Strait Trip 2007 Boigu Saibai Duaun

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Torres Strait Trip 2007 Boigu Saibai Duaun
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:45:13 -0700 (PDT)
  Hello all,
               (This is non-profit pelagic/island trip with all payments to the
boat owner)
              Phil Hansbro and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a 7
day trip to the islands of the northern Torres Strait in Oct 2007.  We have
chartered a boat to depart Horn Island on the 7 Oct 2007 with a sleeping
capacity of 10 x single berths.  The planned route is to depart Horn early on
the 7th and after a brief stop at Little Tuesday Island for Pale White-eye,
continue north and spend 2.5 days on Boigu, 1 x day on Duaun and 2.5 days on
Saibai before arriving at Horn on the afternoon of the last day.

  The boat is 58ft and has air-conditioning / shower / toilet / BBQ / Galley.
The charter includes accommodation on board the vessel, personalised itinerary
and all gourmet meals including fresh seafood banquets as well as use of 5
meter tender vessel for transfers on and off islands.

  Accommodation is available on both Thursday and Horn Islands.  The motel on
Horn is called the Gateway.  Its fairly basic accommodation but OK for a night
and close to the boat.
  (Both Baxter and Carter have previously visited the above islands and Phil
Hansbro has extensive New Guinea experience)
  For birdlist see previous trip reports on birding-aus archives.
  Possible Itinerary:
  Day 1 breifly visit Little Tuesday Island for Pale White-eye and Mangrove
Golden Whistler. Go ashore on Boigu that afternoon around the settlement, and
next day continue to explore settlement  and penetrate deeper into the island.
Day 3 take the 5m tender vessel through the 'river' that divides the island to
the south coast and visit the camping area.
  Day 4 travel to Duaun and spend majority of day exploring Island.  Then
travel to Saibai and moor off the settlement. Go ashore and explore settlement,
surrounding forest and wetlands and penetrate deeper into the island.  Next two
days ? Use tender to explore creeks and continue to explore settlement and
surrounding areas.  Possible circumnavigation of island searching for suitable
locations to explore.

  The cost of the charter is $3500pp and all monies are payable to the charter
company.  I am still in the intitial planning stages with the charter company
so if you have any questions/ideas let me know and I'll get an answer.

  Update:  The first trip is now FULL and I am taking names for the second
trip, probably departing Horn Island on the 15th. ( Yet to be determined)

  We are also running two trips in Feb/March 2007 to the Cocos-Keeling Islands
and Christmas Island which are just about full but we still have a couple
vacancies. Cost $2500pp.

  Regards
  Richard Baxter and Phil Hansbro