birding-aus

Magpie/butcherbird interaction.

To: Baus <>
Subject: Magpie/butcherbird interaction.
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 09:33:06 +1000
A few minutes ago (about 9:15 AM Wed 13th), I parked opposite an area of
lawn behind our local butcher-shop in suburban Hawthorne (Brisbane).

As I pulled up, two magpies were vigorously fighting on the ground.  One was
clearly getting the worst of it, when a Pied Butcherbird flew down to them.
Didn't actually join in, but made as if to do so at a distance of maybe 30
cm.  The bullying magpie took off.  Butch stayed with the other on the
ground for perhaps half a minute, then flew off.  I proceeded into the shop.

Aren't birds fascinating?

Syd