birding-aus

back from Madagascar etc

To: <>
Subject: back from Madagascar etc
From: "David Andrew" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:45:20 +1000
Hi all

Recently back from two months' work in Kenya, Tanzania and Madagascar. In East
Africa I managed to fill a few gaps from my previous trip (eg Finfoot, various
larks inc Beesley's, Crab-plover, northern Tanz endemics, Arabuko-Sokoke forest
birds plus the incredible Golden-rumped Elephant-shrew). All destinations
highly recommended, with Madagascar the clear winner - beats me how this
wonderful, safe and cheap place stays off the radar of Australian birders. I've
always been a bit of a primate buff, more so than ever after seeing so many
beautiful and often fearless lemurs. Madagascar highs and lows included:

Highs

  a.. Brilliant views of all 'gettable' rallids, inc Mad Rail (PN Mantadia) and
no less than 5 Mad Wood Rails taped in at PN Ranomafana - three in the bins at
once!
  b.. 23 lemur spp inc Black-and-White Ruffed Lemur, Diademed Sifaka, Indri and
all three bamboo lemur spp at Ranomafana
  c.. Ampijoroa - lovely park with great viewing in open deciduous forest -
Rufous and Sickle-billed Vangas common, Mad Crested Ibis on trails and a
treeful of Mad Green Pigeons.
  d.. Long-tailed Ground-roller (great views) in the incredible Didieraceae
(octopus trees)-baobab forest at Ifaty.
  e.. Bird waves at PN Mantadia, especially Nuthatch Vangas and Blue Couas
(turacos by any other name!)
  f.. Great French cooking.
 Lows

  a.. Slogging for two solid days at PN Mantadia for so-so views of only
Rufous-headed and Pitta-like Ground-rollers - be warned, if these birds ain't
calling (best Sep-Nov), they can be tough!
  b.. Learning too late that Fosa is often viewable at Kirindy. Grrr!
  c.. Lake Ambolomalandry near Ampijoroa - clapped out and virtually birdless
(apart from lots of domestic ducks) at the end of the dry season, though
possibly warrants a return after the Wet.
  d.. Malagasy wine - an experience not to be repeated.
Undecided

·        Berenty - habitat definitely stressed, but amazing views of a few
lemurs and birds, including Giant Coua, Mad Sandgrouse, two owl spp and
Verreaux's Sifaka 'dancing'.

Happy to advise on logistics for anyone contemplating a trip.

Good birding

David Andrew