birding-aus

Here's a wicked thought. How did it get here ?

To: "Carl Clifford" <>
Subject: Here's a wicked thought. How did it get here ?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 16:26:12 +1000
Carl,

I don't know if you are being serious or raising an idea as clever and
facetious as the one that sucked me in on 4 July. I reckon some ideas are an
adaptation and recycling of that little joke by Nevil, as a real suggestion.
Now Carl has come in with another suggestion. Sure a bird could enter an empty
container but why or how would a bird be capable of "hoping it would be going
north but picked the wrong one"? Wouldn't it starve during the journey? I don't
follow Tony's conundrum about whether it is "tickable" though it appears to be
facetious and Mike Carter's answer to that makes good sense. Even if the bird
was human assisted, anyone can make their own rules and decision as to whether
they think it worthy to go all that way to see it and whether it counts
(whatever that means). Carl raises an interesting idea though. Would it be
possible for the internal guidance system of a Grey-headed Lapwing to sense
that it was heading south and not north whilst locked in a dark metal can?

Philip