birding-aus

Origin of the name cockatiel

To: "Peter Woodall" <>, "Mike Owen" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Origin of the name cockatiel
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 14:07:48 +1000
I would add that this "little cockatoo, from cacatua" as below, makes sense -
on the basis that the suffix "je" (I don't know that it has an English
pronunciation, other than it being like the first part of the word "young"), is
regularly used in Dutch as a suffix on a noun, to mean "little".

Philip Veerman (who heard a lot of Dutch whilst still a "personje")

SYLLABICATION: cock·a·tiel
PRONUNCIATION:   kk-tl
VARIANT FORMS: also cock·a·teel
NOUN: A small crested Australian parrot (Nymphicus hollandicus) having
gray and yellow plumage.
ETYMOLOGY: Dutch kaketielje, ultimately from Malay kakatua, cockatoo.
See cockatoo.

My Collins Dictionary indicates that kaketielje is from Portugese
cactilha meaning little cockatoo, from cacatua, presumably from Malay
kakatua.