birding-aus

Raptors and Butchers

To: "Evan Beaver" <>, "bird" <>
Subject: Raptors and Butchers
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 17:32:27 +1000
Evan,
Raptors (I believe same word origin as the word for rapture - meaning to carry
away) are two groups: the Falconiformes (hawks, eagles, falcons, etc) &
Strigiformes (owls). Both are predatory and hunt using their feet as their main
catching & killing method. This is a convenience term for those two orders.
Other orders of birds are also comprised mainly or wholly of predatory forms
but are not called raptors. Frogmouths and nightjars are nocturnal and have
some similarities to owls but they are not owls. Butcherbirds are passerines.
They also happen to be predatory but they too are not raptors.

Philip