birding-aus

Toughest Gets -Spotted Quail-thrush

Subject: Toughest Gets -Spotted Quail-thrush
From: <>
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 01:32:57 +0000
Hello All.

Early this morning I set out once again to a property on the eastern
foothills of the Toowoomba Escarpment, a short distance north of Withcott,
Qld. Having been there on a couple of occasions beforehand looking for the
spotted quail-thrush -hearing the bird on the initial visit with Mick
Atzeni, I thought I'd give the dry hills another try. It was either get the
bird here or plan a trip over the NSW border to Boonoo Boonoo.

Ten minutes after my arrival, having wiped my weeping eyes due to the cold,
I had moved less than a hundred metres before I heard the birds -they could
have been no further 20 metres away. Stopping in my tracks, I attempted to
locate them. But because of the ventiliquol effect of their call they were
not easy to locate. Then, I saw a female take flight to my left and shortly
after a male took off from about the same area and flew further into the
litter-strewn woodland, where it provided excellent views at the base of a
eucalypt. Wow, what a bird!

The reason this lifer means so much is because of the amount of time
invested in finding it, as well as a huge amounts of money. But it was worth
it. I wonder whether anyone else has had a similarly tough time finding this
species, or others?

All the Best,
Michael Wood