birding-aus

Easter birding, Bowra, Cunumulla,SW Qld

To: "Timothy Hyde" <>, "'Dam Lamb'" <>, "'birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Easter birding, Bowra, Cunumulla,SW Qld
From: "Peter Morgan" <>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 23:37:54 +1000
Bev and I visited L. Bindegolly on 2 consecutive days straight after the Bowra camp. The only water was at the bridge. on the first day there quite a few birds near the shelter shed - spotted bower birds and chestnut-crowned babblers, white-winged wren, splendid wren, variegated wren. The second day was quieter, but we did see ahuge flock of something in the distance which looked like a huge sphere.

we went to Currawinya NP, and both lakes were dry there, altho the Paroo had quite a strong flow at Caiwaroo(?). We saw another huge flock above us of hundreds of woodswallows that made me wonder if that was what we had seen at Bindegolly.

At the caravan park at Thargominda, we were told by the owner? manager?, "Mav", about a grey falcon nest quite near to the park, and from which 2 young were produced last year. The birds seem to still be using the area as a base, according to Mav. We found the nest quite easily, but whether it is a grey falcon would be worth confirmation.

Peter Morgan