birding-aus

Grey Grasswren

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Grey Grasswren
From: "Janice England" <>
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 21:50:26 +1000
I have just returned from a 3 week trip west to look for the Grey Grasswren.
The first few days were spent at Bowra near Cunnamulla which is a fantastic
spot and has all the birds of Eulo area and more.  Then a few of us continued
west to Coopers Ck to look for the Grasswren.  Thanks to Bill Moorhead and Reg
Oakley for their information re this site.

The area had been very dry and there was virtually no green lignum to be seen
and despite 4 of us spending two half days walking the area we had no sign of
the GG.

 However, water was just coming down the Cooper from the floods in Winton and
the road will be impassable across the floodplain for the next few weeks.  The
situation should change dramatically as a result of this water.  The lignum was
already greening up and I feel this will be a top spot in spring.  One of the
advantages of this site is that it is bitumen all the way from Brisbane and the
area can be accessed by walking along the causeway at the western end of the 14
km floodplain.  Virtually no need to even walk off the road as the causeway
gives you a good vantage point.  There is also a good campsite beside the creek
at the western end of the floodplain.

So we headed south to Tibooburra to visit the Onepah area.  But unfortunately
due to the 7 yr drought in the district, there wasn't even any lignum to be
seen.  I had tried on numerous occasions to contact Mrs. Betts at Onepah
without any luck and we found our that  Mrs Betts no longer allows birdwatchers
on to her property.  So we headed off to Sturt NP and then home via Currawinya
NP.  Even the trees were dying in Sturt NP and there were few kangaroos to be
seen which was contrary to what I saw last time I visited this park when roos
were evident in huge numbers.

Could people  please spread the word that the Onepah site is no longer
accessible.

Better luck next time I hope.

Jan