birding-aus

NSW - Waverley (Eastern Suburbs, Sydney) - Honeyeater migration

To: <>
Subject: NSW - Waverley (Eastern Suburbs, Sydney) - Honeyeater migration
From: "Frank Hemmings" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:09:33 +1000
Here in the eastern suburbs of Sydney, whilst not as impressive as Carol's
counts in the Blue Mountains, and an order of magnitude smaller, I watched
groups of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters moving through from my balcony at Waverley
(just outside of Bondi Junction) on Sunday 23/4 and estimated approximately 500
passing through in an hour.

Yes quite small compared with other areas, but there apepared to be more than
in other years, and in some years these movements appear to be absent near my
home (whilst still being prevalent in other parts of Sydney at the same time),
when only occasional birds may be seen in the cooler months.

They were generally in smaller groups of around 5-10, but several larger groups
of up to 45 were present.  All flying east, and almost all groups passing over
the same tree. 100m away.  White-naped Honeyeaters were present as either a few
individuals and one small gorup of 5 mixed with the YFHEs.  Also several small
groups of Sileveryes passing in the same direction

Other birds seen from the balcony at the time included:

Australian Pelican
Great Cormorant
Pied Cormorant
Little Black Cormorant
Darter
Noisy Miner
Red Wattlebird
Figbird
Spotted Pardalote
Rainbow Lorikeet
Common Mynah
Common Starling
New Holland Honeyeater
Red-whiskered Bulbul
Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo
Welcome swallow
Tree Martin
Feral pigeon
Spotted Turtle-Dove
Silver Gull
White Ibis
Peregrine Falcon

Cheers

Frank

Frank Hemmings
Curator
John T. Waterhouse Herbarium
School of Biological, Earth and Environmental Sciences
University of New South Wales
UNSW SYDNEY 2052
AUSTRALIA

Tel +61 2 9385 3274