birding-aus

digital cameras

Subject: digital cameras
From: "Damien Farine" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:18:06 +1100
Mega-pixels in my opinion are the biggest marketing gimmick out there. A 5mp shot is like A3 size. 4mp is about A4 size-ish (thats a scientific measure if I've ever seen one!).

In the end, its about having a good lens (an advantage of the panasonic lumix DMC FZ series - leica lens). Also about keeping the lens clean. One good thing about those big zoom non-slr cameras is that they are quite well enclosed and won't let dirt or grim or salty air unto the mirrors.

To most people its all about how good the camera is it measuring light, iso speeds, aperture size, etc.. etc.. But in reality, its about the person taking the photo. Professional photographers will have a plan for each photo they take to have the right light, angles and so on. Most of my best pictures actually came from the FZ-10 and not the 350D. Why? because I was just in the right place at the right time and it did the job marvellously. In saying that, on pellagic trips, the 350D out-performs the FZ-10 to a point where they cannot be compared.

So it all comes down to the $$ you want to spend. I dream of a nice 100-400 IS lens, but my budget only allows me to use what I have, so I make the most of it. Also, a small light-weight lens allows me to take my camera anywhere without hesitation (even more so with the FZ-10).. so many of the great shots I have were taken without any plan, just being in the right spot at the right time.

Cheers,
Damien