birding-aus

Nesting Sparrows - and others

To: bird <>
Subject: Nesting Sparrows - and others
From: brian fleming <>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:44:07 +1100
When I first got interested in birds, c.1967, Sparrows were nesting under a broken tile at the back corner of our old house.(Can't say species - I wasn't aware of Tree Sparrows those days). I watched the old birds rushing in and out with caterpillars (result of my attempt at a kitchen garden). The young were growing up and leaning well out to demand food - and next thing a pair of Starlings arrived. They slew the young sparrows, and I think ate them. So we had Starlings instead. The cock Starling sang from the roof top and presently we had young Starlings leaning out and calling for food. Next thing, Indian Mynahs! I found the bodies of the young Starlings thrown out on the ground below and the mynahs took over the hollow. So we had three nesting attempts in the same hollow and only one family of young successfully reared from it.

Anthea Fleming
Ivanhoe