birding-aus

Re: Victorian Twitchathon 05

Subject: Re: Victorian Twitchathon 05
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:28:41 +1100
Great stuff David :-)

Actually If I'd known we were going to be short of objective (200) we
may not have slept. Due to a miscount on day one we thought we would
easily get 200. As a result we actually took it far to easy on day two.

On another issue, we should start up an interstate competition. We'd
simply need to work some sort of handicap/averaging system. What about
this for an idea. (We'll call it 'Tim's System'). We could base it on
the average total for the last ten events. For example, in Victoria the
last ten winner totals have been 192, 200, 174, 175, 211, 211, 205, 180,
195, 202, with the average being 194.5. The national winner would be the
team that gets the most above their state average. Using this system
(unfortunately) our team was 2.5 birds down on that average.

How did WOW go? (Fairly well I imagine, considering you broke the
previous state record by 7.) What about Queensland? What about New
Zealand? Etc.

Cheers,

Tim

Tim wrote "After 3 hours sleep" and "After packing up our tents".

Tim, there's your problem ...

Tents??, three hours sleep??  No wonder you fell short of 200.

If you want to give your sponsors full value for their money you need to

ditch the tents - it's wasting valuable birding time putting them up and

then pulling them down!!.  Try sleeping on some hard concrete or a
picnic
table if you want a bit more luxury.  Sleep simply cuts into yet more
valuable birding time.  I will concede that you might need a hours
snooze
at some stage (but no more!) to ensure you can tell the difference
between
the real birds and those hallucinations.  You might feel like crap later

but the adrenalin should get you through until 4.00PM Sunday - and
that's
all that matters!  Mind you, a down side, as one of my team members
found,
is that there may be a tendency to drop off through the proceedings at
the
post-twitchathon BBQ.

As a twitchathon veteran I've discovered that there is always room for
improvement.  The mighty Whacked-out Woodswallows managed 229 in NSW
several weekends ago.  Today I got a phone call from one of my team
members telling me she's working on some minor tweaking of our run for
next year so we can better our effort.  I'm scared, very scared!

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382