birding-aus

ID required: unknown bird at Gluepot

Subject: ID required: unknown bird at Gluepot
From: Peter Waanders <>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:32:53 +1080
Hi Birders
An unknown bird was seen at Birds Australia Gluepot Reserve last Saturday.
The description given by Frances Guard, the ranger is as follows:

"This bird came by the homestead this week. It was about 20cm in length,
with long tail and straight black fairly slender bill about 3/4 size of the
head. It had an upright stance and fed on the ground. The legs were long and
pale. The rump/vent was pale while the rest of the bird was brown with a
dark (blackish) throat and bib, and dark markings on the wings. The wings
did not extend past the rump allowing it (rump) to be seen while the bird
was on the ground. There appeared to be a faint pale eyebrow above a dark
and quite large eye. It walked with a wagging up and down of the tail. The
tail was straight with no barring or striping that we could see. It flew
into a tree but sat awkwardly in the topmost branch. Later it landed on a
nitre bush and sat with its tail cocked up like a brown songlark. We watched
it for about 10 minutes, so got good views in very good light . The photos
are not good but may help you with some ID. My best guess is some kind of
wagtail in nonbreeding / juv. plumage"

This bird looks vaguely familiair but it just won't come to me what it might
be. I also tend to agree with Fran's initial suggestion of a juvenile
old-world wagtail, based on the black bib/throat. However it seems big and
the striping on the back seems heavy, almost pipit-like. Anyway I have
placed
some pictures on my website: http://www.sabirding.com  Click on the picture
in the middle of the main page and you'll be directed to 2 more pics.

Cheers

Peter Waanders
Waikerie, South Australia

SA Birding: http://www.sabirding.com