birding-aus

RFI Cobar and Central NSW

To: Graham Turner <>
Subject: RFI Cobar and Central NSW
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:02:50 +1100
Graham Turner wrote:

Edwin, you may want to be a little careful at Yathong. NPWS seem to give the impression that they don't want people here. Not sure if it was the abrupt email from the local ranger, or the signs on every cross road saying 'Service track only - no unauthorised entry" but it seems public entry is not what NPWS want for this spot. Graham Turner

    David Mitford and I are planning to have a look around Cobar in
    central NSW next month for a few days. David hopes to see a few
    new birds but I do not expect to see anything new myself though a
    Grey Falcon would be a nice sight.  Does anyone know of good
    birding sights around Cobar or Central NSW and to see some
    interesting species such as: Striated Grasswren - does anyone have
    directions to see the Striated Grasswrens in Yathong NR and how to
    get to Yathong NR?

Dear Edwin and Graham

When Birding NSW (then Field Ornithologists of NSW) were going to visitk Yathong some years ago, we were in touch with the local ranger and he was very insistant that we contacted him in advance of any proposed visit. I think they are rightfully very protective of their small Malleefowl population. So take care.