birding-aus

Top time of year for birders in north Queensland

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Top time of year for birders in north Queensland
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 09:22:38 +1000
Greetings,

Spent a great morning's birding at Rose Gums Retreat two days ago. Many birds;
but one of the highlights was watching a Pacific Baza chasing a Little Eagle
from the vicinity of a large Rose Gum, Eucalyptus grandis. Going from memory
only, so I may have missed a couple of species, I saw or heard the following at
Rose Gums (2 hours) and on the drive there and back via a short stop in the car
park at Lake Eacham.
Australian Brush-turkey

Orange-Footed Scrub Fowl

Great Crested Grebe

Little Pied Cormorant

Little Black Cormorant

Australian Pelican

Pacific Baza

Little Eagle

Brown Goshawk

Buff-banded Rail

Masked Lapwing

Black Kite

Whistling Kite

Brown Cuckoo-Dove

Emerald Dove

Crested Pigeon

Peaceful Dove

Bar-shouldered Dove

Wompoo Fruit-Dove

Superb Fruit-Dove

Topknot Pigeon

Sulphur-crested Cockatoo

Rainbow Lorikeet

Scaly-breasted Lorikeet

Double-eyed Fig-Parrot

Australian King Parrot

Oriental Cuckoo

Little Bronze-Cuckoo

Channel-billed Cuckoo

Pheasant Coucal

White-rumped Swiftlet

Laughing Kookaburra

Forest Kingfisher

Dollarbird

White-throated Treecreeper

Red-backed Fairy-Wren

Yellow-throated Scrubwren

White-browed Scrubwren

Large-Billed Scrubwren

Brown Gerygone

Helmeted Friarbird

Little Friarbird

Noisy Friarbird

Blue-faced Honeyeater

MacLeay's Honeyeater

Lewin's Honeyeater

Eastern Spinebill

Brown Honeyeater

Dusky Honeyeater

Scarlet Honeyeater

Pale-yellow Robin

Grey-headed Robin

Chowchilla

Eastern Whipbird

Golden Whistler

Grey Whistler

Little Shrike-thrush

Bower's Shrike-thrush

Black-faced Monarch

Spectacled Monarch

Leaden Flycatcher

Magpie-lark

Grey Fantail

Willie Wagtail

Spangled Drongo

Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike

Barred Cuckoo-Shrike

White-bellied Cuckoo-Shrike

Varied Triller

Figbird

Pied Butcherbird

Australian Magpie

Pied Currawong

Victoria's Riflebird *

Torresian Crow

Spotted Catbird

Tooth-Billed Bowerbird

Richard's Pipit

Red-browed Finch

Chestnut-breasted Mannikin

Mistletoe Bird

Fairy Martin

Tawny Grassbird

Silvereye

Metallic Starling

Common Myna

The Blue-faced Honeyeater is an unusual record for here in Yungaburra but one
has been hanging around my yard for a few weeks now. Breeding activity is in
full swing with lots of birds displaying, nesting or feeding young.

Down on the coast people are seeing Buff=breasted Kingfishers every where. The
Asian Dowitcher on the Esplanade in Cairns is attracting plenty of attention.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road