birding-aus

Grey Grasswren

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Grey Grasswren
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 07:20:03 +1000
Hi all,

Some notes on the Grey Grasswren.

Myself, Jack (9) and friend ,Tony just got back from 16 days following a course
from Bundaberg , Thargomindah, SW along the Bulloo Track to Cameron Cnr,
W to the Strzeleckie, S to Lyndhurst, N to Lake Eyre, N to Birdsville ,E to Betoota,
S to Innamincka via Planet Downs and Arrabury and home. Total 6064 kms.

The country is very dry although we received half an inch mid Sept....enough to bog
the Landrover and camper-trailer on the Bulloo!

We spent many hours investigating lignum where-ever we came across reasonable
patches. No GGWrens on the Bulloo. Lignum on the Strzeleckie was in slightly better
condition but no luck despite us camping near a great patch for the morning chorus.
No GGWrenson the Birdsville Track. Stacks of lignum is in the Cooper around Innamincka,
which was flowing. No luck. Heading home we found a great GGWren site .
I am happy to share it as it is very accessible , on public land and easily birded from the
road. Hopefully this will take pressure off the Pyampa site.

Details .
On the Cooper Developmental Road between Noccundra and Eromanga.
There is excellent lignum along a 3 km stretch near the Tennapera HS sign .
We found the birds about 100m SW of the sign on the SE side of the road at
about 1:30pm 26/9. S27deg30'12.8"E141deg56'33.2". We saw 4 but there
would be many more I think.
Look for the obligatory White-winged Fairy-Wrens to help locate where the
birds are. I don't think they like places where there is large vegetation despite
the presence of lignum.
Note please that the sealed road is a narrow and used by oil-field trucks. I'd park
safely at the beginning of the lignum and walk the road. The best lignum is right
next to the road. This is because of moisture in the drains. When it rains I suppose
lignum will recover away from the road.

Other notes on the trip for those interested.

1.Dearest fuel $1.62/l in Mungerannie
2.Best camp sites....Muloorina near Lake Eyre.
3.Best 'civilized' camp....definitely Mark and Anne Scammell's shearer's quarters
at Mt Lyndhurst.....sensational and terrific folk.
4.Best photo opportunities...draw between Eyrean Grass-Wren and nesting
  Black-breasted Buzzard
5.Best other birds.....Chestnut-breasted Whiteface; numerous Bourke's Parrots;
  70+Inland Dotterels including young chicks; and Cinnamon Quail-Thrush
6.208 species all up.
7.Best pleasant surprise....Innamincka Regional Reserve...up there with Simpson Desert
 for scenery and reptiles.
8.Worst thing....too short....but really 3 flat tyres!

Cheers,
Bill