birding-aus

Birding Red Centre 2nd to 6th July (Long)

Subject: Birding Red Centre 2nd to 6th July (Long)
From: "Tim Jones" <>
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2005 11:37:04 +0000
Barry (and anyone else who might be interested),

Here's a summary of new birds for our list, seen on a fantastic trip I had
with my 13 year old son to the NT last week. If you want more detail or a
full trip report, let me know.

Saturday 2nd July

Slaty-backed Thornbills - pair at the park entrance at Uluru
The Olgas - Grey-headed Honeyeater

Sunday 3rd July

Banded Whiteface - flock of 5 north of Erldunda

Monday 4th July

King?s Canyon ? Spinifex Pigeon
Black-breasted Buzzard - about 10 kms E of King's Canyon
Hugh River Stock Route - pair of Cinnamon Quail-thrushes
Olive Pink Botannical Gardens - Western Bowerbird (sadly the Grey Honeyeater
hadn?t been seen for a week or so and didn?t put in an appearance)
Kunoth Bore (dusk) - pair of Bourke?s Parrots

Tuesday 5th July

Glen Helen - 40 to 50 strong flock of Painted Finches
Glen Helen - Red-browed Pardalote
Ormiston Gorge - several Grey-fronted Honeyeaters, large group of Spinifex
Pigeons

Wednesday 6th July

Trephina Gorge - a party of 4 Dusky Grasswrens
Santa Teresa Road- 2 more Dusky Grasswrens ? about 30 kms south of the
Airport Roundabout, where the road goes over a rocky crest and spinifex
meets the road on both sides
Rufous-crowned Emu-wren - several about 33 kms south of the Airport
Roundabout

In four days we had 14 ticks and saw 56 species of birds.

Trip List:

Little Pied Cormorant
Australian Darter
Australian Pelican