birding-aus

Birds Australia Victoria pelagic trip off PORT FAIRY, Victoria, Australi

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Birdline Victoria" <>, <>
Subject: Birds Australia Victoria pelagic trip off PORT FAIRY, Victoria, Australia, 3 July 2005
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 13:21:26 +1000
Birds Australia Victoria pelagic trip off PORT FAIRY, Victoria, Australia, 3
July 2005
OBSERVERS: Chris Lester (organiser), Rosemary Lester, George Appleby, Frank
Pierce, Simon Starr, Rob Berry, Gail D'Alton, Peter Crabtree, Stuart Dashper,
Brian Johnston, Bob Edwards & Rohan Clarke (report compiler).
WEATHER: Conditions were overcast with total cloud cover in the am becoming
patchy by midday and remain that way for the remainder of the day. Consequently
very dull in the morning with visibility further hampered by several extended
periods of drizzle but improving through the middle of the day. Cool. A 5-10
knot south westerly as we headed out increasing to 20 knots with each of three
drizzle patches, moderating slightly through midday and gradually swinging
around to the north west in the afternoon.
SEA: A 1-1.5 m (occasionally to 3 m) swell with a moderate 1-1.5 m chop. Seas
increased noticeably with each rain squall and at times we took a fair bit of
spray onboard. Seas moderated somewhat with the passing of the squalls, though
we still surfed home on a reasonable swell. Despite the chop and some spray the
boat did not pitch too badly and it was a reasonably good (though wet) ride.
No one seasick.
ACTIVITY: Sailed at ~0735 EST. Headed directly to the shelf break without any
stops. Reasonable numbers of birds (mostly prions and small albatross) in
inshore waters concentrated around several small areas of krill just below the
sea surface (centred around 25 fathoms). As mentioned in earlier trip reports
this year, the presence of visible krill through winter seems exceptional. We
crossed the shelf break (100 fathoms) at around 1020.  We stopped and berleyed
with shark liver at three locations, first near the shelf break at 38º49.61'S
141º55.78'E, then in 400 fathoms of water at 38º52.07'S 141º51.78'E and then
back in 240 fathoms at 38º48.7'S 141º52.95'E. The current was quite strong and
we drifted up to three miles at each berley stop. Headed back in at ~1325. So
that we had more time beyond the shelf we opted not to travel back via Lady
Julia Percy Island so the return leg was fairly direct. We did however make
four brief stops for birds of interest. Docked just before 1600.
MAMMALS:
Common Dolphin: a pod of 4 briefly joined the boat on the way out when we were
over 52 fathoms of water.
10 or so Australian Fur Seals at sea in inshore and offshore waters At two
berley points in pelagic waters we were joined by an adult male.
BIRDS: 20 species beyond the river mouth indicated average diversity. At times
it was fairly quite though the species list continued to build on the return
leg and in the totals for the day were quite good. Highlights were the repeated
close views of an Arctic Tern....(although it was hard work generating interest
in this bird at the time!), good views of Slender-billed Prions, and an adult
Northern Royal Albatross that provided a couple of fly pasts.
Little Penguin:  2 within 500 m of shore on the return leg.
Great-winged Petrel: 6 (3) all nominate race. Notable for their scarcity.
Cape Petrel 20 (7). 3 offshore on the way out, another 2 on the way in,
remainder pelagic.
Common Diving-Petrel: 2 both in inshore waters in the am.
Fairy Prion: 140 (30) most over ~25 fathoms. Beyond the shelf we attracted a
maximum of 30.
SLENDER-BILLED PRION: 7 (2). 1 in offshore waters remainder pelagic. One bird
at the first berley point had no tail such that the legs and feet projected
awkwardly beyond the exposed undertail coverts.
ANTARCTIC PRION: 3 (1). all pelagic
Southern Giant-Petrel: 1 immature followed us for a while in offshore waters on
the return leg. An additional immature Giant-Petrel not identified to species
level was seen distantly in inshore waters on the way out.
Wandering Albatross: 1 pelagic at the last berley point that I suspect was
gibsoni.
NORTHERN ROYAL ALBATROSS: 1 adult pelagic waters at the last berley point
showed passing interest in our efforts but never alighted.
Black-browed Albatross:
nom. race 28 (8), 5 pelagic, 13 offshore, 10 inshore. Largest number together
were seen in inshore waters on the return leg.
impavida, 1 adult pelagic at two berley points.
Shy Albatross all cauta: 120 (60). 5 inshore, 20 offshore remainder pelagic.
Yellow-nosed Albatross: 10 (5). 2 offshore remainder pelagic
Grey-backed Storm-Petrel: 3 (2) all pelagic
Australasian Gannet: 250 (100), 10 inshore, 8 pelagic, remainder offshore.
Southern Skua 1 very distant in inshore waters in the afternoon
Pacific Gull: 1 first year bird in inshore waters in the afternoon. (a couple
of adults around the breakwater also).
Crested Tern: 160 (30) mostly concentrated around the 20-30 fathom area with
multiple flocks of 20+. Also 10 pelagic.

ARCTIC TERN: 1 at the third berley point provided some good opportunities for
photographs. The trailing edge appeared a little more diffuse than was expected
possibly owing to its worn plumage but all other characters indicate an Arctic
Tern.  We stopped briefly for a second small tern showing a dark trailing edge
to the primaries in offshore waters on the way back in but views were poor and
it remained unidentified.

Black-faced Cormorant: 1 inshore just as we headed out.

Regards,

Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke
Zoologist
mobile: 0429 792 906

Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
38 Bertie Street (PO Box 489)
Port Melbourne, Vic  3207
ph: (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242