birding-aus

Song Sleuth, again

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Song Sleuth, again
From: Chris Sanderson <>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:41:44 +0800
Hi all,

In my (somewhat limited) experience with birds that mimic like
Lyrebirds, Bowerbirds, and Scrub-birds, they are usually polite enough
to call louder than the birds they are mimicking, and/or to go through
an entire repertoire at once.  On the note of other birders in the
next bush, they don't always have to be carrying a tape recorder.  I
once had an amusing anecdote related to me of a birder walking through
the rainforest looking for Noisy Pitta.  He got frustrated with the
lack of success, and did his best imitation of the call.  He was
stunned to hear a Pitta responding from nearby.  After a few minutes
of call and response, he finally rounded the corner to see... another
birdwatcher, also doing his best to imitate a Pitta.

Regards,
Chris
Broome, WA