birding-aus

Re: what bird is that? (SEQ)

To: Tim Dolby <>
Subject: Re: what bird is that? (SEQ)
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 12:35:23 +1000
Thanks, Tim. Yes, I've been gazing at the 'beautiful reddish' raptor pics in all my books. As there's a melaleuca stand further down the road from where this man owns his bush corridor, and state forests all around the area, I do think of going back and trying to find the bird. On the other hand, if I were ever to see a 'rare bird' (or even, like now, to have just a hint of one), maybe it's better to leave it be, say nothing, go nowhere near it ever again? I'd like to understand what the different views about this are? -- as I can't comprehend it all clearly myself...

Cheers.
Judith.

Dear Judith et al,

Both Square-tailed Kite and an immature Black-breasted Buzzard have a
'beautiful reddish' colour - and there are a number of other raptors
(including Brown Goshawk) that appear reddish.

Your bird may have been a Red Goshawk, but it may easily have been
something else! A general rule with birds is that 'common birds occur
commonly'. (The Red
Goshawk is very rare.)

So unless you have a very good descriptive report (a photo always
helps), or that you have an experienced observer, I'd be extremely
hesitant about giving your bird a exact name. (A god way to clarify this
would be to find the bird again.)

Cheers,

Tim

 > A raptor described by a non-birding bush-dweller as a 'beautiful
 > reddish' colour, that came in to (try to) take his chickens.
 > The bush he owns includes a bird-rich streamside corridor.
  What bird of this colour in this area and habitat could carry