birding-aus

Birding at Lake Moore, Liverpool in Sydney

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Birding at Lake Moore, Liverpool in Sydney
From: "Crispin Marsh" <>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 18:30:20 +1000
Dear Birders,
I am surprised that I have never seen a reference in the birding literature to Lake Moore which is about 1 Km east of Liverpool in south western Sydney. I stumbled on this spot and have now been there 3 times. Each time I have been delighted with the number and variety of birds seen.

I visited this morning in bright sunny weather with a light and cool breeze. As I arrived a willy wagtail was sallying forth from a fence and a flock of dusky wood swallows were hawking out of a tree catching insects. White plumed honeyeaters called from the tree beside the car. All of which made for a good start.

There were a number of waterbirds on the lake, though less than on previous visits. Black duck, Australasian grebe, little pied and great cormorant, white faced heron, sacred ibis, dusky moorhen, masked lapwing, purple swamphen and silver gull were all seen on, or around the margins of, the lake.

Flocks of red browed firetails entertained throughout the day. Spotted pardalotes were  flitting down from the treetops to a newly replanted bank - nesting already? Numerous superb blue wrens darted in and out of low bushes, all males in eclipse plumage apart from one brilliantly coloured fellow looking resplendent in new blue feathers. A small floch of varied sittella burst into a rough barked eucalypt and busied themselves dashing down the branches seeking insects. They incidentally drew attention to a golden whitler sitting in the tree saying nothing.

Returning to the car a magnificent adult white breasted sea eagle had alighted in a large dead tree on the opposite side of the lake where I had seen a pair last time I visited. All up 44 species made for a satisfying outing.

Peter Marsh