birding-aus

Moorrinya NP (central Qld) trip report

To: <>
Subject: Moorrinya NP (central Qld) trip report
From: "Dickson" <>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 10:48:01 +1000

Hi all,

As promised here is a short trip report for Moorrinya National Park, in central western Queensland (south of Torrens Creek which is west of Charters Towers). There is another trip report on the park in the archives from Jo Wieneke, which has some useful information for those looking at visiting ? as far as I?m aware her info is still current. Here> http://menura.cse.unsw.edu.au:64800/2002/05/msg00101.html

Moorrinya National Park, purchased in 1993, has a bird list of 177 species and protects 12 of the 15 regional ecosystems found in the desert uplands including various types of woodland, riparian vegetation and Mitchell Grass plains. I visited as part of an annual James Cook University vertebrate survey and was there for 3 days of the total 6 ? 78 species were seen during the 6 days.

We camped in or around the old shearers quarters, which is near a permanent waterhole of several hundred metres on Bullock Cr. White-necked Herons have bred along the creek ? there were 2 juveniles as well as several adults ranging along its length. Also saw a Australian Wood Duck and a Black-fronted Dotterel here ? a juvenile B-f Dotterel was seen around our camp fire one night, approachable to a couple of metres.

Budgerigars were abundant, in flocks of up to 100. White-plumed Honeyeaters were the only common honeyeaters, but they were quite abundant, particularly in the riparian zone. Little Button-Quails were regularly flushed and we almost stood on one while out spotlighting one night ? I don?t know if it was dazzled by the lights or possibly sick but it refused to flush as about 20 people filed past and even allowed someone to pick it up!

Also fairly common were Diamond Dove, Little, White-browed & Masked Woodswallows, Apostlebirds, Double-barred & Zebra Finches & Jacky Winter. Unforunately I didn?t get much time to bird ? early mornings were occupied checking mammal and reptile traps and I had things to do most afternoons as well. It seems an excellent birding spot though and I would love to get back there some day ? the jaw dropping sunsets and sunrises and dazzling night sky were added bonuses.

I have a full bird list (177 species) available to anyone who would like it.

Cheers

Tim Dickson

Townsville